here's another interview that can be seen in its entirety at
http://istanbultea.typepad.com/largefellaonabike/

Few names if any ring more crystal clear through the
legions of frame builders than that of Richard Sachs.

He has carved-literally-more personality, elegance and
lustful desire into his frames than nearly anyone else.
Like Stradivarius before him, Sachs crafts instruments
of ageless beauty that transcend the purposeful essence
for which they were born. Sachs is in the elite with very
few peers and these are his words...


1. How old are you?
52
2. Where were you born?
Jersey City, NJ
3. What's your earliest memory of a bicycle or something
bicycle related?

Riding my tricycle as a youngster at our Belmar, NJ
summer bungalow.

4. What was your first cycle?
As a youngster, red Huffy Convertible. I also had a
sweet Schwinn Jaguar MK3

5. How about first "high-end" cycle?
I bought a Frejus TDF from Tommy Avenia's and that
led me to ordering 2-3 frames from W.B. Hurlow.

6. Did (does) your family (parents, siblings, etc) ride also?
No.
7. Did you like to tinker with bikes back then?
No.
8. Did you ever work in a Bike Shop... if so, where/how long?
I worked at The Ski Rack in Burlington, VT
9. Have you ever done any organized racing?
Yes. I raced before I began building. I still race weekly
and have a USA Cycling Cat 2 license on road and track.

10. How about cyclo-touring?
I never had an interest in this.
11. What job(s) did you have before frame building and
also-do you have any other job currently besides framebuilding?

Except for the 8 or so months at the bicycle store,
framebuilding has been my only career.

12. When did you start building?
I went to Witcomb Lightweight Cycles in 72, returned
home to work with Witcomb USA for a few years, and
started this business in late 1975.

13. Who would you say is your greatest influence in
designing & frame building?

In my earlier years, I wanted to be Bill Hurlow. That
fantasy morphed into including Mr. Nagasawa into the mix.
In the last 15-20 years, I've lost interest in this industry
and take my cues from crafts-people from other venues.

14. Did you apprentice... if so, with who?
I worked at Witcomb Lightweight Cycles in London, but
it was not an apprenticeship.

15. What's your idea of the "perfect cycle" regardless
if you built it or not?

It's an unachievable entity. It can't be done.
16. Shooting a guess how many frames would you say
you've built?

I used to be very prodigious, and now I am not! I'd guess
there are about no more than 4000 frames out there with
my name on them.

17. Any cycles out there that you secretly wished, "Darn,
I wish I'd built that!"?

No. None.
18. Your idea of the perfect client?
The one that doesn't exist; I build the frames as though
I am the client and it must pass my criteria before it is
deemed "finished".

19. What defines a nightmare client in your experience?
Me.
20. Any words of advice to up & coming frame builders?
It's not what it seems.
21. What do you find most funny or peculiar (in a kind
way-not brutal) about the cycle-buying public... what
don't they get or aren't they seeing?

Most folks think all high-end bicycles share things in common,
be they similar component groups, tube sets, geometry features,
and the like. Making a frame by hand, to order, has no peer in
the industrial-made, bought-at-the-mall world.

22. What do you think of mass-produced bikes (without naming names)?
They are extremely good and do the job well. Way back when,
this was not the case; you simply could not get a bicycle from
a retailer and go off racing and/or touring on it. It had to
come from a framebuilder or specialty shop. In the late 80s/
early 90s, all that began to change.

23. What cycle don't you have anymore that you wished you did?
I wish I still had my first W.B. Hurlow frameset.
24. What cycle do you currently ride most, even if it wasn't
built by you?

My RS Signature bicycle, fully kitted out with 2005 Campagnolo
Record Carbon, Oval Concepts stem and handlebars, SSM Aspide
saddle, and Joe Young built wheels with all DT Swiss components.

25. When did you last ride your bike and for how far?
I raced on Sunday (60 miles) and these past 2 days I rode 30mi each day.
26. What's your idea of the perfect ride?
Racing cyclocross. Period.
27. Could you ever see yourself being Car Free and just
using mass-transportation and your bike to get around?
I like my car.
28. Why do you think so many folks have romanticized bicycles
and bicycling?

It's an activity that you learn about as a child, and one
that you never forget or leave. Riding is a beautiful aesthetic.
Racing, even moreso...

29. Any (other) passions or hobbies in your life?
Except for family, it's "building and racing..."
30. If you could say one thing to Lance Armstrong what
would it be?

I'm not buying it.
31. In a pinch... McDonalds or Burger King?
Neither.
32. What kind of shampoo did you last use?
Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap.
33. Favorite libation: wine, beer or fire water?
Italian reds, and/or Dinkel Acker beer
34. Even though there seems to be a real tradition to it-what
do you think of folks who spend more time setting up their
cycle with just the right color saddle, bar tape, bags, hoods,
etcetera than actually riding or at least commenting on the ride?

I have no opinion other than to say it's theirs to do with
as they please.

35. Did you go to college, if so, what was your major?
I bypassed entrance to Goddard College in order to leave
the states and live in London.

36. Your favorite music while working (if any)?
It varies, but no day is complete without hearing Desolation Row.
37. If you had it to do all over again... would you be building cycles?
Most days, "yes". And most days, "no". Not getting to finish
academic life has always been a regret, and I ponder it routinely.

38. What's your favorite lunch food during a work day in the shop?
Hummus.
39. When it's all said & done-what kind of legacy will you
hope to have left behind?

I think Sinatra must be given all the credit here:
"...I did it my way."

40. How can folks get in touch with you to order a custom cycle?
Tel 860.526.2059
richardsachs@juno.com
www.richardsachs.com
richardsachs.blogspot.com